Felony and Misdemeanor Criminal Defense
The Attorneys with Thomas & Thomas Law Provide Quality Felony and Misdemeanor Criminal Defense for Those Facing Charges in the Roanoke - Bedford, Virginia Region
Criminal Law: An Overview
A crime is any behavior punishable by incarceration and/or fine. At some point in life, almost everyone will find themselves affected in some way by the criminal justice system. This contact ranges from simple traffic tickets to offenses with the risk of incarceration. No act is a crime unless established as such either by statute or common law prior to the act committed.
A state's legislature usually determines which acts are considered criminal offenses and categorizes these acts into two separate classes - misdemeanors and felonies.
There are also crimes prosecuted at the Federal level on issues that pertain to serious crimes such as kidnapping and drug convictions. In recent years the list of Federal crimes has grown.
The lawyers with Thomas & Thomas Law aggressively litigate cases in which clients are innocent and work hard to diminish the exposure of these clients to incarceration and other adverse effects.
"No better instrument has been devised for arriving at truth than to give a person in jeopardy of serious loss notice of the case against him and opportunity to meet it. Nor has a better way been found for generating the feeling, so important to a popular government, that justice has been done."
~U.S. Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter
How Can I Be Defended In A Criminal Case?
This firm can effectively defend your case in the following areas:
- By showing the defendant could not have been at the scene or the crime, or could not have committed such a crime.
- By showing the evidence does not prove all elements of the crime charged.
- By showing the primary evidence against the defendant was collected unlawfully by the police or prosecutors and thus cannot be used at the trial.
- By showing the primary evidence against the defendant is unreliable and thus cannot be used to convict the defendant.
- By showing the defendant has a positive defense to the crime charged.
Criminal Defense Articles
Discuss Your Case
If you are interested in discussing your felony or misdemeanor case with this firm, please begin by filling out a criminal charge information form. You will be contacted by a representative within 24 business hours.