The Attorneys at Thomas & Thomas Law Provide Quality Defense for Individuals Facing Drug Related Charges in the Roanoke - Bedford, Va Region.
The term "drug offense" applies to a wide variety of drug-related charges. The attorneys at Thomas & Thomas Law provide expert criminal defense services for their clients who are accused of drug offenses including, but not necessarily limited to:
- Prescription fraud
- Possession with intent to distribute
"The function of the prosecutor under the federal Constitution is not to tack as many skins of victims as possible against the wall. His function is to vindicate the rights of the people as expressed in the laws and give those accused of crime a fair trial. "
~ William Orville Douglas
Drug Offense Conviction
Drug charge convictions often result in tremendous fines, lengthy probation, compulsory drug testing, court ordered rehabilitation programs, and even imprisonment. The severity of the punishment depends on many factors, including:
- Prior convictions
- Media attention
- Circumstances surrounding the crime
- Personal bias of law enforcement officials, judges, and juries
- Effectiveness of legal counsel
- Quantity of the drug
- Scheduled drug classification
- Intent of possession
Federal law (and most state laws) allow for "forfeiture" of property used in the course of drug crimes, along with the profits from the crime. For instance, the government may seize an offender's vehicle if it was used to transport drugs.
If convicted, additional time or fines can be added if:
- The drugs are given or sold to minors
- Minors are used in the drug distribution process
- The drugs are sold or distributed near schools
Once convicted, rights and priveleges can be affected:
- Disqualification from receiving federal financial aid for college
- Driver's license will be suspended for six months to five years
- Difficulty maintaining job or finding one in the future.